Thursday, September 27, 2007

Curves

I'm going to double up on the blog tonight, and discuss something I talked about earlier in the day in my weekly message on the City's website.


Earlier this week I had the opportunity to visit the Curves location on Campbell Avenue. I didn't exactly know what to expect when I walked in the front door.

I will say this, Curves is not your typical gym, and in my opinion, that is a good thing. When you walk in, you can’t help but feel comfortable and welcomed. Everyone was greeted by name as they entered to begin their workout, it was really something. Another plus is there are no bodybuilders posing in the mirrors, or people hanging around gawking at you.

The music is certainly energizing and is an important part of the concentrated 30 minute workout. I learned that a Curves workout is approximately an hour and half of exercise condensed into a 30-minute routine. The best part? You can walk in at any time and jump right into the exercise circuit. No appointment or scheduled start times for the program. It makes exercise convenient to your schedule.

Patty McLaughlin and Nellie Mason own and operate the Curves location in Troy and they are committed to helping women achieve positive results in fitness. As I said, they know everyone by name and can tell you countless success stories of their members. They are both also very active in fundraising events throughout the community, which is vitally important to me. Despite being less than a year old, the Troy location has already proven to be a wonderful addition to the City of Troy.

I don't want to forget other businesses though. In recent years we have seen a great mix of people move into the City. For the adventurous exercising type, there is the Movement Lab, a pilates studio run by Julie Rose on the corner of State and Fourth Streets. I definitely suggest checking this gem out as well, as Julie has told me that she has something for everyone. Much more information can be found by checking out http://www.themovementlab.com/

Regardless of your age or physical condition, give these places a try. Tell Patty or Nellie that I invited you to stop in, they will be glad to have you. Now if there was only a Curves for men…


Harry