Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thursday Night Happenings...

Through the month of November, each Thursday evening, I will take some time and talk about one of the many great projects happening in the City of Troy. First up, the Mooradian Lofts on River Street in North Central Troy.

Overlooking the Hudson River, the Mooradian Building has always provided stunning views of the Capital District from its days as a furniture shopping destination. Now, after longtime owner Bill Mooradian decided to move on, it is poised to become known as the living destination in the Capital District.

I could write for hours about the excitement I and so many others share for this project You will find out why below. For now I want to thank those who are making it happen, and show off some pictures. If one picture is worth a thousand words, then I have a treat for you.
All the credit in the world goes to the excellent vision of Ad Hereijgers, Pietro Costa, and Peter van Jaarsveld. These three men have taken their belief in the future of Troy to levels that most unfortunately consider impossible. Here's a picture of the three of them, very happy during the recent unveiling of the model condominium. If you see them on the street, be sure to say hello and give them your thanks.

The next two pictures present views of the City looking south from the model loft. Throughout the building there are jaw dropping views that everyone who lives in this area should see at least once.



The model that was recently unveiled is full of unique amenities, and provides an excellent look at what many of the condominiums will offer to future residents:

On the evening the new loft was unveiled, a tremendous cross-section of people from the community attended to offer their support, and see what the latest project was all about. I think I can speak for most when I say that no one left the building feeling anything but excitement for the developers, and Troy as a whole. Here are some pictures from that night.


As the Mayor, whenever you hear that a business will be moving on, no matter the reason, it hurts. We strive each day to bring the City into a positive light to create new business, new development, and new interest. So when Mr. Mooradian told me that the long-time business would be leaving, I pledged that we would work with him to find a suitable replacement.

Within weeks, there was a group interested in moving into the building. Wanting to make sure they had the support of the City before pursuing their plan, they came into my office with the details. They envisioned the property as a perfect fit for their needs. Housing for those recently paroled. A halfway house. It was a proposal that would ensure this gem of building came off the tax-rolls forever, and an idea that flew in the face of a revitalized North Central.

I said no. I could not support a project like that, nor could the City of Troy.

I do believe in no uncertain terms that saying yes would have happened in previous years. People that have administered this City in the past have been all too quick to grab onto whatever they could. I thought it prudent to wait.

Several weeks later, I met Ad. I listened to his plans for the buildings. And I smiled.

When the official unveiling took place, Ad thanked me personally for the support the City has shown throughout the process. He invited me to speak in front of the crowd, and while it was tempting to share the above story, I did not. It was much more exciting to know that the patience had paid off, and that others were now seeing what I have always believed was possible in Troy. I look forward to going back next year and taking a look at the room below when it is finished and watching new people discover Troy for the first time.

For more information on the Mooradian Loft's please check out www.themooradian.com.

Thanks to everyone for reading about one of our most exhilarating projects. Be sure to e-mail me if you have any questions, info@harry4troy.com.

Have a great Friday!

Harry