Sunday, August 12, 2007

Day At The Races

Monday will be another exciting day for the City of Troy. If you are wondering, I never tire of saying that.
Tomorrow is Troy's Day at the Races, highlighted by the 4th Running of The Troy in the 9th race. Back in my first year in office, NYRA was kind enough to name a race after our beloved City. It has been a stand out race every time out thus far. Taking place on the turf each year, I still remember hitting that race when Willard Straight went wire-to-wire back in 2004.
It was a race for the history books in fact, as John Velazquez broke the record for number of wins in one season of racing at Saratoga with his win in the inaugural Troy. The following year, he won the race again, this time aboard Funfair. And then last year, the great Edgar Prado took home the prize riding Second in Command to victory. You may be shocked to learn that the Deputy Mayor won that race. We have certainly had our share of fame from the jockey end of things.
The estimated post time tomorrow is 5:20 p.m. for the 9th Race. Morning line favorite? How about Council Member at 6-5. I think I may know a few people who will take a shot at that one. 5 and 1/2 furlongs on the turf!
More to come Monday night, with pictures from the Winner's Circle.
I hope everyone had a great weekend! Please be sure to e-mail me at info@harry4troy.com.
Harry